Sunday, October 23, 2011

a little help from my friends

With another birthday approaching, it occurred to me to review all the paintings in my studio and divide them into two categories: those I am proud to leave to my heirs and those that might end up in a garage sale (with my name on them).

So, I'm beginning the process of getting rid of the mediocre work...one way or another. First up is a little 9x12 to be reworked into something better. I brushed off the pastel, turned the paper upside down, and after about an hour the top part looked good to me but the rest just wasn't coming together. I sent the image by email to several members of an artist's critique group I belong to and asked for 'a little help from my friends.' With good feedback from them, I was able to resolve the foreground and I'm now happy with the painting.

Here is the image I sent to them by email for critique:
They each suggested more work on the foreground. I brushed off all pastel except the top 1/3 of the painting and reworked the rest. Here is the completed painting, "Meadow Lights."
I thought it would be fun to show you the work of three of the artists who gave me feedback.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful re-work! I love the cooler colors you brought in to the foreground. They really give it that crisp evening/sunset sort of feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't it fun to have friends who are so very helpful! what a great result. I am off to dig out lots of old pics......

    ReplyDelete